New entry Dec 07
Critters is 23!
Yes, 23 years ago Critters was born. Wow! Thanks so much to all of you, who've made it such a resounding success!
Critters no longer accepting European Union members :(It's with a heavy heart that I have to announce Critters can no longer accept people in the European Union as members. This is a result of the "GDPR" privacy laws going into effect. I'm a big fan of privacy, and applaud the general idea behind the GDPR, but the way it's implemented forces me to close the door to EU writers. [read more why...]
Books from Critters!
Check out Books by Critters for books by your fellow Critterfolk, as well as my list of recommended books for writers.
The Sigil TrilogyIf you're looking for an amazing, WOW! science fiction story, check out THE SIGIL TRILOGY. This is — literally — one of the best science fiction novels I've ever read.
How to Write SF
The Craft of Writing Science Fiction that Sells by Ben Bova, best-selling author and six-time Hugo Award winner for Best Editor. (This is one of the books your ol' Critter Captain learned from himself, and I highly recommend it.) (Also via Amazon)
P&E Has a New Caretaker!
I'm very happy to announce that P&E has been handed off to a new caretaker! Check out the site for news and such. Hurrah!
I'm being interviewed live on public radio for Critters 20th birthday. For those who want to listen, it's on the 10am (Mountain time) show on Thursday, 11/19/16, on Colorado Public Radio - www.cpr.org has streaming on the site or it's 90.1 FM in the Denver area. [Interview is done, you can listen on the site]
Free Web Sites
Free web sites for authors (and others) are available at www.nyx.net.
ReAnimus Acquires Advent!
ReAnimus Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the legendary Advent Publishers! Advent is now a subsidiary of ReAnimus Press, and we will continue to publish Advent's titles under the Advent name. Advent was founded in 1956 by Earl Kemp and others, and has published the likes of James Blish, Hal Clement, Robert Heinlein, Damon Knight, E.E. "Doc" Smith, and many others. Advent's high quality titles have won and been finalists for several Hugo Awards, such as The Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy and Heinlein's Children. Watch this space for ebook and print editions of all of Advent's current titles!
Network speeding up
I'm switching the connection over to a new, shiny 10X faster network because of all the load. There might be bits of downtime as your boxes learn new addresses and things. Should be brief. Let me know of any prolonged outages you see.
Preditors & Editors Changeover
With the very sad passing of Dave Kuzminski, who ran P&E, I've taken over the P&E duties. Lots of what I hope are improvements; check it out at pred-ed.com.
is Dying has been Replaced
THE SIGIL TRILOGY: The universe is dying from within... "Great stuff... Really enjoyed it." — SFWA Grandmaster Michael Moorcock
Announcing ReAnimus Press
If you need help making ebooks from manuscripts or print copies—or finding great stuff to read—look no further! An ebook publisher started by your very own Critter Captain. (And with a 12% Affiliate program.) [More]
Various links with other writing-related information...
- The Black Holes response time tracker
- Tips To Increase Writing Productivity"
- Aburt's Recommended Books
- SFWA Home Page — The organization for professional SF&F writers; has tons of excellent information
- HWA Home Page — The organization for professional horror writers
- The SFWA Bulletin — what SFWAns read to keep up, but anyone can subscribe; a must for anyone wanting to be a pro
- Shhh! A Sliver of The Secret to Selling SF
- Query Etiquette - How Long is Too Long? How long should and editor have your manuscript before you query about it...
- Top Ten Rules for Writing from a bunch of authors
- Umberto Eco's Rules for Writing
- Howard V. Hendrix's advice to new writers — special to Critters
- SFWA authors' recommended reading lists
- Center for the Study of Science Fiction — aka James Gunn's home page
- Assorted SFnal info
- Mary Soon Lee's Mailbox Blues &emdash; a must read for any writer waiting for the mailman
- Interviews with writers about writing
- Victory Page for Writers
- George Scithers and Darrell Schweitzer on Submitting — aka Weird Tales guidelines; very informative.
- Jeffrey Carver's page on how to write SF: "Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy" is a free online course for young writers, created by SF author Jeffrey A. Carver. Useful to aspiring writers of all ages, it covers the fundamental skills needed to write successful SF and fantasy stories.
- Jeffrey Carver's advice to aspiring writers
- Daniel Arenson's writing tips page
- Holly Lisle's page
- Lisa Silverthorne's Advice page
- List of Books for Students of SF Writing
- Liz Holliday's two most common reasons for rejecting stories
- Critter Dave Felts's review of the Writers of the Future workshop
- MZB's Advice to New Writers: and MZB's What is a Short Story?
- Colorado Science Fiction Authors
- Review of the Infamous Clarion Workshop
- Clarion Review #2...
- Proper Manuscript Format
- More on Manuscript Format
- John Stith's Manuscript Format Tips and other tips
- Jack Lynch's Grammar and Style Notes
- Vonda N. McIntyre's Pitfalls of Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy
- SF Site's Writing Resources
- Jack Beslanwitch's Writing Resources
- Ralan's Webstravaganza (SF/Humor market tips and links)
- Characterization Tips from C. J. Cherryh
- Other Tips from C. J. Cherryh
- Michael Burstein tells a Fascinating Tale of a First Sale & Hugo Nomination
- Internet Top 100 SF/Fantays List — favorite books as voted on
- DarkEcho — A Horror-specific group, with a workshop
- The Reader's and Writer's Resource Page
- The Copyright Website
- A letter from Stephen King's agent about protecting electronic rights
- John W. Campbell Best New Writer Award Eligible Author Web Page
- The Right to Read — The father of the Free Software Foundation makes his case with a science fiction story
- Locus Index — a comprehensive index to authors and stories
- The Internet Speculative Fiction Database — another index of authors & their works (temporarily offline until it finds a new home)