Barely any crits; what to do?

For the Critters workshop and writing SF/F/H in general.
  • Ads

Re: Barely any crits; what to do?

Postby crit26313 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Oh, I don’t expect it, but I welcome it.

It also makes me curious when the critiques are exactly the opposite on a particular character or plot point, but it’s not uncommon.
crit26313
Name: Elena Zimmerman
Sprout

Postby crit34335 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:29 am

So I think in this case, it might be better to see about possibly starting a group within Critters that would essentially be a book-club. If you can find a group of 5-10 people that have those interests in being a little more greasy with their critiques (because let's all be honest we're here to get better) to get to the root of all the problems that are in our stories then it would probably be a huge help. If you look at things like Teamspeak 3 or Ventrillo (One of those might possibly have a monthly fee, the other might not) you can set up 2 or 3 meetings a week where the group shares a goal (like read a chapter a week, or a 5000 word submission max or something like that in the rules) and get together and actually speak to one another about manuscripts, over the internet, creating in essence a crit-club. This ultimately would circumvent the entire "being too nice in our critiques" things and allow us to be a little more honest with each other. I think Aburt's concern is that we as critters play diplomatically. I would venture to guess that Aburt wants us to take a critique like "I think this is bad because the pacing seems off and slow to build, Here's how I think you should fix it, and I recommend taking a look at this to help guide you" rather than "It's bad because you're the equivalent of all human cancer." Trust me, the latter phrase stings as bad as it sounds. I would also say that if anyone is interested in a critique club I could easily be persuaded, just switch info and set up times and days and during those times and days, that's where we are. Its a commitment, but ultimately it might help get the reviews you're looking for.

As a rider, to the previous thought, It would be most beneficial with a minimum of 5 people.
crit34335
Name: Scott Green
Sprout

Postby crit26313 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Critique Circle has an organization similar to what you describe. They do not have the strict courtesy rules, and are built to eventually move into workgroups that are set-up through their site. You can even pay to have your work come up for critique more often.

I do prefer Critter’s model, personally, but you can check it out, you might like it.
crit26313
Name: Elena Zimmerman
Sprout

• Ads
Previous

Return to Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writing