Agree

Forum rules
Comments for http://critters.org/c/blog/?l=20131024113711 - . General forum rules apply: http://critique.org/c/forum.ht
  • Ads

Agree

Postby crit19292 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:10 am

I have a Nook and have a number of books set up for the Nook. I like the ease of the interface, and B&N are usually good to work with. I prefer the Nook to the Kindle.

That said, you are correct about the search engine. It is crap, and I have sent complaints to B&N about my experience using it. You did not even touch on problems that I experienced, because you did not click enough. Thus, the problems are greater than you stated, and I agree reflect on the sales figures.

Only one thing to say in their favor - their site is not slow. YOUR site is slow, ABurt, which is why I have been avoiding it. It might be good with other browsers, but using IE I can go fold clothes between screen loads sometimes. You might want to work on browser speed, Aburt. As for B&N, they just need to fix their search engine (maybe their database, as that could be their problem). Still, at least you are not sales dependent - they are, so they have the greater need.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

Re: Agree

Postby aburt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi, Roby, this is news to me about the Critters site speed, so thanks for the heads up! What pages seem slowest? Are we talking about these forum pages, or the main Critters site (with the robocritter up top)?

As for B&N, what other, greater problems have you experienced? I'm hoping to contact them (for whatever little good it will do) so it would be good to have a complete list.
aburt
Name: Andrew Burt
Tree

Re: Agree

Postby crit19292 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Let me first report on this site -
1) I came to get the submissions to check those without responses. Had to click - wait - finally click again - wait - then the page came up.

2) I remembered commenting to your blog, so decided to check. Clicked link. Waited. A better screen for reading the blog came up, but no comments. Waited for page to fully load, THEN found comments.

Stuff like this happens here or the forums. It seems that the site takes a coffee break (is it union?) before actually doing anything, and sometimes it is a LONG coffee break.

Okay, about B&N.

1) I have my books. When I release a book to Nook (or Kindle), they come up having me state in what category they fall. The site then does not use those categories in order to look for books. (Example: I release a book that is Fiction-Fantasy-Epic, but cannot search by Epic Fantasies).

2) If I do attempt to search by Epic Fantasies, I will get books titled 'Epic' or even authors named 'Eric.'

3) I also have to state what age category my readers should be, but I cannot search by that either.

4) I use my avatar name (TerishD) when I post stories to the internet, so I put my avatar name in the keywords. I however cannot do a Keyword search by TerishD and get my books (period - they do not come up). Generally I have determined that a keyword search does not search by keyword.

5) If you click beyond 10,000 entries (usually by playing with the URL address up to 9,900 or such) you just get repeats of Page 1.

6) It would be nice if the entry listed size of document or number of pages. I do not go looking for short stories, but want novels (I write novels and want to read novels). It would be even nicer if the search engine would allow that criteria.

7) It also would be nice if the entry mentioned that the text was a sample (especially when I am in a cheap mood), as I feel cheated (cheated by B&N I might add) when what I get is just a part (or a tease) of the actual manuscript.

Those should be enough for you.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

• Ads

Return to critters.org/c/blog/?l=20131024113711