Comments on critique.org/hellocorruption.ht

Forum rules
Comments for http://critique.org/hellocorruption.ht - . General forum rules apply: http://critique.org/c/forum.ht
  • Ads

Postby CrittersMinion » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 am

[Reposted from old comment system, from Guest on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 07:52:47 0000]

It happens in Israel, too, Andrew. HaAretz, which is supposed to be the newspaper for "intelligent people" has an anti-religious slant. You can disagree with a religious point of view, but that doesn't mean that you read a blog, react to it in a "article" and that becomes "news". Two examples--the Government owned airline placed some in-flight movie offended some religious people. They "rioted", as it were, which is supposed to be arcane, though, other airlines are careful that their in-flight movies do not offend the travelers. Israel's airline is supposed to be more "liberal", and the editor of the Talkback made sure the anti-clerical side had the majority of the responses.

More recently, as you mentioned, a blog was recorded as news. What most people don't know was that the Haredim, that sector of the religious public which is stricter, regard the Internet suspiciously. That means a "Haredi blogger" is someone who breaks the concensus in his sector. Except for the Talkbackers who explained that Cyberspace is ususally where Haredi Jews in Israel "aren't", the editor made sure the screamers ran the show.

So . . . the corporate media, even in smaller countries, knows how to slant the facts, even obfuscate information so you can fabricate anything and call it "news" and by the time the facts come out, it doesn't matter.
CrittersMinion
Name: A Critters Minion
Wise Old Tree

[Reposted from old comment system, from Guest on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 06:21:25 0000]

Interesting, but I think there is a connection missing here. Yes bloggers etc are taking over so many parts of what newspapers have been doing, and no, they can't take over investigative journalism.
That's good in every way! That means newspapers, in order to survive, will have to give up on running all that "breaking news" crap and focus on the real, in depth stories, and they will have to start working with bloggers etc as the next level of commentary on these stories.
People now use blogs etc as filters - they find bloggers who match their concerns and tastes and use them to link back to the main articles/news companies and so on. The newspapers that will fade out will be the ones that dig their heels in and want to hold on to the "small/breaking news" stuff. The ones that survive will realise the extra filter takes care of this now, and they can concentrate on the big stories and get the full background info. The bloggers will then help them publicize and move this information out into the larger circle.
The fact that there is a new level of news dispersion/filtering from organizations-to-individuals, which doesn't conduct a lot of investigative journalism itself, is a good thing. And that's what real news companies should now focus their attention on.
I for one welcome our new blog overlords. Some of them are highly professional and educated news filters, and I trust their specialized opinions on news stories as much as the average journalist at a large company who might be just trying to spin some copy into a story.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

[Reposted from old comment system, from Guest on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 06:16:11 0000]

Two words: underground newspapers.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:25 am

[Reposted from old comment system, from Guest on Thu, 10 Sep 2009 04:52:18 0000]

Andrew,
A well written article, and unfortunately very true. As the old saying goes, "Money talks, and ... walks." My own adaptation on the Golden Rule: "Those who have the gold make the rules." Best of luck, psuedowriter
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:25 am

[Reposted from old comment system, from Dave on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 20:21:35 0000]

I think a combination of options would be the best to assure that some part of investigative journalism remains alive and well at all levels of the nation. Perhaps something like a non-profit that funds bloggers who demonstrate such investigative journalism, and perhaps also individuals like yourself you feel (rightly) outraged at the current state of things, and take it upon themselves to do more.

Your point about squelching individuals being easier than, say, the NY Times, is a good one, and hard to overcome. Perhaps a non-profit organization would be a good fit to help combat that - an ACLU for investigative bloggers, if you will. I dunno, just my immediate reactions.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

• Ads
Previous

Return to critique.org/hellocorruption.ht