Amateur Writer looking for 1:1 critique or trio

For the Critters workshop and writing SF/F/H in general.
  • Ads

Amateur Writer looking for 1:1 critique or trio

Postby Ranvena » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:49 am

This must seem a bit of an unorthodox request - maybe even inefficient - but I really don't like groups and would much prefer a dialogue with 1-2 other amateurs as opposed to a public forum discussion. I'm not currently in a place where I want professional criticism; I'd much rather have a discussion with someone who talks to me as an equal rather than a subordinate. I write strictly fantasy and would prefer to critique that genre. I WILL NOT read anything extremely violent, gory or sexualized. Romantic themes are fine, but I may skip through the juicier parts.

What I'm looking to give and receive is less about grammar/technical skills (within the limits of readability, of course) and more about the simple questions that I ask myself when I write down anything: "Am I conveying what I'm trying to? Is this going in the direction that I want it to? Is that direction interesting?"

- If I'm a bit nervous about emailing my work to a stranger, I'm sure you are too. I don't at all mind posting work on the forum. I just don't need the whole internet's opinion.
- If you like to start conversations with "Don't take this personally but..." or "Don't take this the wrong way but...", I'm not listening to anything after that point. You're basically telling my brain to do just that.

Thanks for staying with me this far,

Ran
Ranvena
Name: Ranvena
Sprout

Re: Amateur Writer looking for 1:1 critique or trio

Postby crit34328 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:59 pm

I hate people picking up punctuation errors too and would rather receive feedback on the story itself. When you say you don't want professional criticism I wouldn't worry too much about it. There aren't too many professionals giving their opinion on here I would wager. Tell me what you've got and see if I'm interested. I'm new on here myself!

Phil
crit34328
Name: Phil Hays
Sprout

Postby crit34252 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:59 am

Hi Ran
I am new to this group too. I like your proposal and am willing to give it a try. It would require that we build an equation of trust and equality along with respect. Given that we will only meet in this virtual manner it will be an interesting experiment.
I live in Chennai which is a coastal city in southern India. I write strict fantasy too. I have struggled for years trying to bridge the gap between my western education and my eastern upbringing. Also trying to fit the tropes of fantasy into a story which is obviously not Europe or US centered. I have finally seen light of day and I think I can manage it. So I am currently working on two stories and hope to have one ready for viewing in a month or so.
I am so tentative about the deadlines because I am also the mother of two children. Thankfully one of them is in college but my daughter has entered that minefield terrain called teenage. She will have her 13th birthday in March but we have already begun to hear rumbles. Again thankfully it is not boys. But the larger problem of self-esteem, looms on the horizon.
I am also not interested in "romantic" fantasy. In fact, I am appalled that Lois Mc Master Bujold a writer who I admire very much is dabbling in this area.
So yeah let's work on this relationship and hope it succeeds.
My name is Gyanavani. Everyone calls me Vani.
Hope to hear from you soon Ran
crit34252
Name: Gyanavaani Mantha
Sprout

Postby crit19292 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:17 pm

I would enjoy a dialogue. I have been writing fantasy for years, but it has been a lonely endeavor. I however will degenerate into matters of mechanics. Good tools are as necessary as good projects. Talking about a wide range of topics helps any conversation, and keeps the dialogue going.

That is where most who request this fail miserably. They really only want to talk about one thing. They also tend to foolishly believe that others will think like they do. That is where potential long-term dialogues fail. They find others, especially me, do not think like they do. I accept that it disappoints them, but such is life.

I am throwing my hat into the ring for joining this project. Whether or not it is accepted is not my call. You mentioned email, so terishd (at) adnd dot com.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

Postby crit26313 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:25 pm

I am late to the table, but if anyone is still interested, I would love to have a high level conversation or ask/answer something specific on a piece of writing. My only request is for under 6K at a time. And, well, I am good with peeps not reading my story in return either. I thought i’d Add it here just so there is no sense of obligation of any sort. I am sincerely interested in what people write and why they write the way they do, and I have no ambition to publish, so I am looking for an interest club and a friendly chat.
crit26313
Name: Elena Zimmerman
Sprout

• Ads

Return to Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writing