What do you do when...

For the Critters workshop and writing SF/F/H in general.
  • Ads

What do you do when...

Postby crit32566 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:09 pm

What do you do when you're working on a project, and your brain explodes with another idea, possibly a much better one...

(This is for kicks. Maybe.)
crit32566
Name: Joshua Freeman
Sprout

Re: What do you do when...

Postby crit33324 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Make a few notes on your new idea. Then sleep on it, and don't make any decisions until late the next day.
crit33324
Name: Jerold Tabbott
Sprout

Postby crit33524 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:25 am

Find where in your holy scripture the commandment is "Thou shalt not have two projects in progress at the same time."

Rip that page out and burn it.
crit33524
Name: Don Edwards
Sprout

Postby crit33321 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:31 pm

My brain tends to be a little ADHD too when I'm working on a story or going through my day. I keep a writing journal and notebooks with me all the time to write down thoughts and ideas. I've also been known to drive my wife crazy by getting out of bed at four in the morning to draft a page or two of some incredibly amazing dream I had during the night.

These are all things I do outside of my daily scheduled writing time. When it's time to work on my current story, it's time to work on my current story -- no distractions -- until the draft is done. Other ideas have to simmer on the back burner until the first draft is either finished and shoved away in a drawer somewhere for a while, or I decide to do something else outside of my regular "zone" time.

Hope that helps,
Morgan
crit33321
Name: Morgan Broadhead
Sapling

Postby crit33888 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:01 pm

File it away for later. Chances are it's not as good as you think. It's new and fresh and exciting, but maybe not actually great. Once you have a file of ten or fifteen "great" ideas and a finished project (meaning time to start another) then check the file and discover which one of those is truly great. You may even end up combining multiple ideas!
crit33888
Name: J. Neff Lind
Sapling

• Ads

Return to Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writing