Why Do I Have So Much Trouble With It?

For the Critters workshop and writing SF/F/H in general.
  • Ads

Why Do I Have So Much Trouble With It?

Postby crit27628 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:54 am

I love to write. Its one of my favorite past times. People tell me that I'm actually pretty good at it to(and I don't mean friends and family, I mean strangers, when I post my writing online). Yet I always run into the same problem. I get bored of it. I decide I don't wnat to write what happens next, even if I have it all figured out in my mind. I'd really love to actually finish at least a short story.

I really wish I could stop getting bored of what I write, but it happens every time. What should I do? Any tips or advice on how to solve the problem?

Thanks for the Help and Advice!!!
crit27628
Name: Morgan Raaflaub
Sprout

Re: Why Do I Have So Much Trouble With It?

Postby Sff.net » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:42 am

[Reposted from sff.net user <m...@s...> (Mary Catelli)]

Quoth Morgan Raaflaub {crit27628 on www.NewNewForum.com} (<N...@e...>) in (<4...@n...>) on Tue 03 Apr 2012 08:12:04p (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

[color]I love to write. Its one of my favorite past times. People tell me that I'm actually pretty good at it to(and I don't mean friends and family, I mean strangers, when I post my writing online). Yet I always run into the same problem. I get bored of it. I decide I don't wnat to write what happens next, even if I have it all figured out in my mind. I'd really love to actually finish at least a short story.

I really wish I could stop getting bored of what I write, but it happens every time. What should I do? Any tips or advice on how to solve the problem?[/color]

What you should do is take a stack of your half-finished stories and sit down and reread them. At the end of this procedure, you will probably know why I suggested this. (Or, at worst, you'll have wasted considerably less time than it took to write them all. 0:)

Mary Catelli
Sff.net
Name: From a user on sff.net
Tree

Postby crit19292 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:12 am

crit27628 wrote:I really wish I could stop getting bored of what I write, but it happens every time. What should I do? Any tips or advice on how to solve the problem?
Bored? Really? Dude, no offense, but to quote Stan Lee, "YOU have to be your best fan." If you get bored, just think of your poor readers (whatever they say).

Let me agree with Mary Catelli. Read what you have written. If that does not inspire you keep writing, well, you got work to do figuring out why.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

Postby crit19124 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Look if you can't finish a story than you aren't a writer. Sorry to say but who care if you can start something. Big deal.

You can have talent but it doesn't matter if you don't have what it takes to do anything with it.

Either commit and work or get over it. No one is going to give you a magic pill or say something so amazing that you find the wherewithal to finish something. Writing is work. Sure you don't sweat, but it takes a lot of time and effort to write a decent story. At least it does for most of us.

If you wanted to be a chief but you never finished cooking, than all you are doing is making a rotting mess. You're not a chief. OK. Life will go on.

First step to being a writer is finish something. It's that simple.
crit19124
Name: Mari Mitchell
Sapling

Postby Sff.net » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:42 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user "Brian" <s...@c...>]

You obviously get bored before the project is finished. Mari is right. Anyone can start a project. Laying down that last word is the end to the finished job, like a carpenter finishing a porch or a builder completing a new house. A writer who truly enjoys the craft, as myself, loves to put the whole puzzle together on paper. Sure, no one is saying it's easy. It's work. However, it's work that a writer loves to do. Read Stephen King's "On Writing." There's a ton of priceless info for writers in that book.

Do you like to read? I'm a firm believer, too, that someone who doesn't read much, especially novels, could never be a writer. I have a friend who always says he wants to write a novel, but he never reads them. I haven't discouraged his desire, but I had mentioned that it's kind of like being a ballplayer who hates the game, or a preacher who has no use for the religion. I'm not saying that this is your problem, but you really do have to love to read and write to be a writer.

"Mari Mitchell {crit19124 on www.NewNewForum.com}" wrote in message news:<4...@n...>

Look if you can't finish a story than you aren't a writer. Sorry to say but who care if you can start something. Big deal.

You can have talent but it doesn't matter if you don't have what it takes to do anything with it. So either commit and work or get over it. No is going to give you a magic pill or say something so amazing that you find the wherewithal to finish something. Writing is work. Sure you don't sweat, but it takes a lot of time and effort to write a decent story. At least it does for most of it.
Sff.net
Name: From a user on sff.net
Tree

Postby Omniscient POV » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:09 am

crit27628 wrote:I love to write. Its one of my favorite past times. People tell me that I'm actually pretty good at it to(and I don't mean friends and family, I mean strangers, when I post my writing online). Yet I always run into the same problem. I get bored of it. I decide I don't wnat to write what happens next, even if I have it all figured out in my mind. I'd really love to actually finish at least a short story.

I really wish I could stop getting bored of what I write, but it happens every time. What should I do? Any tips or advice on how to solve the problem?

Thanks for the Help and Advice!!!

Maybe you just need a break? Go do some reading come back to your story with fresh eyes. Don't be so hard on yourself. There could be something going on beyond getting bored. It would help to be part of a physical writing group as opposed to on-line where you're going to get a lot of crass comments from people who don't actually know you and don't know all the things happening to you in your life that might be affecting your ability to actually finish something.
"Horses are God's apology for men"
Omniscient POV
Name: C.S. Miller
Sapling

Postby crit19124 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:55 pm

OK... I'll try and be more supportive.

Lots of folks say, "I want to write a novel," and "I have an idea for a novel." Saying and doing are two different things.

Add a sentence once a week. In time you will have something finished.

Quality is important. Some would say it is better to have written one good story than a thousand bad ones, but by most accounts the way to quality is writing the thousand stories. But you might be the one in a trillion.

Overall, every successful writer loves to write. I think you would be hard press to find a dozen writers who don't care for the adventure of writing. Not just telling a story, but the string of letters, into words, into sentences, into paragraphs, to chapters and then stories.

I have a hard time finishing stories. I have a hard time starting stories. The middle too. But I want to see how the story turns out. I love the research, surprises that occur when I write.
crit19124
Name: Mari Mitchell
Sapling

Postby crit22441 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:46 am

I'm going to go out on a limb here and point out that most writers--even pro writers--sometimes hate the idea of writing. It's hard work, and sometimes the story just isn't working, and sometimes it's cold outside and getting out of bed just sounds awful. I'm sure there are people out there for whom writing is a perpetual walk in a sunny park, but for most writers--even successful writers--it's sometimes a festival of self-doubt and misery.

If you can't finish a story because you are genuinely bored with your plotline, writer faster. Get it out before it gets stale, take a day off, then repeat with the next story. Some writers work that way.

If it's self-doubt--that is, halfway through the story, you start to believe it's lousy and unreadable--then put serious effort into separating your self-criticism from the act of writing. That self-criticism will be valuable later, during the editing process, but during the initial phases of writing, it'll just paralyze you.

If you stop mid-story because you just don't like writing, or because it seems like too much work, then consider whether you really want to take on a lifestyle that requires years of often fruitless commitment, discipline, and constant struggle toward improvement.

Success at writing isn't easy. I don't think any successful writer will tell you it is. But if finishing a story is worth it to you, if it's something you really need to do or you just can't live with yourself, then put your fingers on the keyboard and type until it's done. Don't overthink, don't make excuses, just work your butt off.

Nothing worth doing is easy.
sarahthegrey.livejournal.com

"Don't think. Thinking is the enemy of creativity. It's self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things." -- Ray Bradbury
crit22441
Name: Sarah Grey
Sprout

Postby crit27368 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:11 pm

The other think I notice is that you get bored "even when [you] have it all figured out in [your]mind."

Maybe you need to try writing without the map for a while. Pick a character and put him or her somewhere and just explore. It might not become a story right away, but if you get into it, you'll have the same sort of excitement of discovery that we all hope a reader will have. It isn't the most efficient way to write, but then efficiency is rarely directly correlated with enjoyment or creativity.
crit27368
Name: Patrick McGinnity
Sprout

Postby crit32715 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:31 pm

Figure out what the standard length is for what you write. For example do you average 10 pages? Is that the maximum you can write before the boredom or lack of enthusiasm kicks in?

No problem. Don't write a short story. Write a small mini story. 5 pages. That's it. Half the length of whatever bores you. Beginning, middle, and end.

Once completed you can go back later and revise or write another mini story. But eventually it will expand. You'll want to write more.

Its like the first person to ever break the four minute mile run. For years no one had done it. Then it was broken and others soon followed. But when folks asked the person who did it how he had done it he said "I did not start out trying to break the four minute mile. I started by practicing until I could break the one minute quarter mile. Then I worked on the two minute half mile. Then the three minute three quarter mile, etc."

Small steps might help you break the barrier. Otherwise you may wish to delve into poetry or some other easier hobby if none of the various suggestions in this thread work for you. Good luck.
crit32715
Name: Erik Brush
Sprout

• Ads
Next

Return to Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writing