Knowing how it ends...

For the Critters workshop and writing SF/F/H in general.
  • Ads

Knowing how it ends...

Postby crit33221 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Hi Critters!

I'm new on here and thought I'd ask if anyone else has this struggle/process: I often am unsure of how I want my tale to end. I often find myself, or the story rather, writing itself as I go rather than having an ending in mind when I started. My character's kind of... take over... as I write scenes. Does this happen to anyone else or do you already have your plot and ending figured out before you begin?

Things usually start for me in flashes, like a movie preview or music video while I'm listening to music. And the next thing I know, I'm wanting to know what's happening to these people/characters and how did they get in that dungeon, why is she being blasted back by magic, why is she/he holding a sword at that person's throat, etc... that's how it starts for me.
crit33221
Name: Alexys
Sprout

Re: Knowing how it ends...

Postby crit19292 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:27 am

I agree that characters can take over a story, but they can also bog you down in their own drama. You need to make some decisions about what is good material for showing things about a character and just annoying fluff. You should have a desired purpose for the events, as this gives the reader a sense of security that they are not wasting their time on trivial flights of fancy. Allow some humor and odd moments between the characters, but mostly keep them working at their job of telling a good story.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

• Ads

Return to Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror Writing