Comments on critters.org/c/blog/?l=20110216103704

Forum rules
Comments for critters.org/c/blog/?l=20110216103704 - . General forum rules apply: http://critique.org/c/forum.ht
  • Ads

Comments on critters.org/c/blog/?l=20110216103704

Postby CrittersMinion » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:18 am

[Reposted from old comment system, from @RichardWClark on Fri, 18 Feb 2011 17:46:27 0000]

There is always a correlation between different factors, which ultimately affects why something is so. Before we know the factors we make assumptions, but several years later we look back with hindsight and the reasons become obvious. When I was a boy, and reading more than a couple of books a week was still fashionable, there was no internet. If you wanted to play games, it was most likely a board game or something outdoors. As a prime source of entertainment, the choosing of a book became an important function, and the average bookstore was crowded to say the least.

Fast forward to today, and my choices would still be books, although I could now look at a lot more titles without leaving home. I would also have a huge choice of games, on console, on my desktop, or even online. I also have a choice of nearly 2,000 television channels (funny how even with this many stations, there's still very little worth watching!). However, there are a range of factors which are very relevant. More people have more time, disposable income, and access to computers/internet. The doubling up of e-book sales over the last five years, might be related to the phenominal growth of worldwide access to computers. Outside of the major countries of the world bookshops are few and far between and there are many more people working abroad. As an example, I live and work in Indonesia, and in the Capital city, Jakarta, I have a choice of two badly stocked bookstores. Where will I buy my books? Yes, you've got it, online!
CrittersMinion
Name: A Critters Minion
Wise Old Tree

• Ads

Return to critters.org/c/blog/?l=20110216103704