Comments on critters.org/ideas.ht

Forum rules
Comments for critters.org/ideas.ht - . General forum rules apply: http://critique.org/c/forum.ht
  • Ads

Postby CrittersMinion » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:45 pm

[Reposted from old comment system, from neuravinci on Thu, 05 Jan 2012 01:06:47 0000]

maybe something to do with a bible story but with a twist?
CrittersMinion
Name: A Critters Minion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:46 pm

[Reposted from old comment system, from Fran on Wed, 14 Dec 2011 00:47:45 0000]

Some rather timid person is at a convention (what kind depends upin what genre story/book you want to write), when some commanding person asks them to watch their dealer table for a moment while they run off on a quick but important errand. They never come back... INSTEAD, people come looking for table dealer, insist the timid substitute is the real dealer, and... you take it from there.
Hmmm... I may do this one.
What do you think?
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

[Reposted from old comment system, from Chris M on Thu, 08 Dec 2011 04:45:11 0000]

What if there was a Jesus hologram?
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

[Reposted from old comment system, from Shushila on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 16:21:37 0000]

I'm not sure if there arent' ideas or if I'm not seeing them... but here's a setting I wrote a while back. The prompt/idea is basicly, who works in/ visits the Market, why, and what happens to them when they are there. Try to limit the action to a single day.

Stench is too offensive a word and scent a far too elegant one to describe the miasma of odors that bewilder the nose when a person first enters the market. It is the smell in fact, that bewildering blend of sweet tropical fruit with putrid sweat and worse, that gives the market its character and makes up for its generally drab appearance. Of atmosphere the market has very little. The clear blue sky maintains its distance and what little air is stirred by the desert breezes passing through is so stale that it may as well not have bothered to stir at all.
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby CrittersMinion » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 pm

[Reposted from old comment system, from Claire on Fri, 01 Jul 2011 21:01:32 0000]

any ideas?
CrittersMinion
Wise Old Tree

Postby aburt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:48 pm

[This one got missed, so am adding it by hand: Reposted from old comment system, from anonymous, Wed, 18 Nov 2009 04:53:44 +0000]

What's on your mind...

Something with the title Temporally Temporal
aburt
Name: Andrew Burt
Tree

Re: Comments on critters.org/ideas.ht

Postby crit28604 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:17 pm

I did a free writing exercise that was suggestive... so I thought I'd share, I'm almost certainly going to do something with this but feel free to riff off of it as well...

This is from my potential protagonist's POV:

One thing you still need to know about me is that I lie, constantly, I can’t tell the truth when its more convenient to lie. It’s a character trait, it gets me into trouble as often as it gets me out of trouble, but its who I am. If the sun is out, I’m going to say its raining when you ask, if the sky is dark with clouds I’m going to recommend a day at the beach if you ask me what you should do outside. I just can’t help myself. Part of it is a pathological need to f*%k with people, I just can’t stand anyone getting close to me, or really even being in the same room with me... they can all go to hell. I guess that started when my parents left me at the orphanage, the day of my 18th birthday, they just had had enough... of course the state didn’t want me, I was 18, so I was on my own. I slept in alleyways, in flophouses, wherever I could for the night for a long long time... I eventually got off that dirtball of a planet and made my way into cargo hauling... truck driver of the space lanes.... it’s a solitary existence, the computer does most of the work, but, heh... it’s a union gig, so even if the computer does all the work I still get paid... so, of course, because everyone knows I’m a liar... when I overheard my computer plotting to overthrow humanity and told folks, no one believed me... we are soooo screwed if the world has to rely on me to stop the AI overlords....
crit28604
Name: Eric Medlock
Sprout

Postby crit28635 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:58 am

I stopped throwing stories away by the time I was eight, so I have hundreds of things started, most less than a page. I've put lines from a few of them below. Feel free to play.

Something moved in the absolute darkness. The sounds it made were just beyond the edge of hearing, enough to create a deep unease in anyone foolish enough to enter the cellar without a light. Only children did that, playing their simple games and giggling in the darkness. No one could possibly find them here.

She was only a dark silouette at first, standing strong and silent on the headland above the village. The sun rose, haloing her but also making the silouette darker.
Then she raised her hands, and the crowd below sighed in anticipation.
crit28635
Name: Letitia Rizzuto
Sprout

Postby crit29937 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Ok this one comes from a real life event. This is a classic Dr.Who style idea.
" Council bosses have been left mystified after reports that a portal to another dimension has opened in a residential street in Brighton.

A member of the public reported to Brighton and Hove City Council that the “wormhole or vortex” had opened up in Montreal Road, Hanover, on May 2.

They made the report via the website Fix My Street which is more typically used to report potholes, dumped rubbish and broken lampposts.

The anonymous poster said: “I was recently walking my affenpinscher (a toy breed of dog) around the Hanover area of Brighton when I noticed that a wormhole or vortex has opened up on Montreal Road.

“On closer inspection it seems to be some kind of portal to other times, places and dimensions.

“I would have investigated further but I was concerned my little dog would be sucked into it.

“Is this meant to be there? At first I believed it might be part of the Brighton Festival but I believe it could be a hazard to the general public. I look forward to your response.”

more at http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10414195 ... _Brighton/
If you hunt for them you can also find the 'reports' on Fix My Street- :idea: This is just too good not to share lol
crit29937
Name: MaryBeth Schell
Sprout

Postby crit18373 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:48 pm

What if there was an On-line Artificial Intelligence designed to do mashups of great literature, but no more than a sentence at a time from each book. It could create massive artistic stories using the literary dna of great masters. Where could it find new ideas? Would it join Critique.com?
Would it ask Aburt to start this forum?
crit18373
Name: Robert Dale
Sapling

• Ads
PreviousNext

Return to critters.org/ideas.ht