Betrayed by my Word Processor

Apps and Software -- apps for iPhones/iPads, Droids, Blackberries, etc.; software for PCs, Macs, Linux, etc.
  • Ads

Betrayed by my Word Processor

Postby crit27640 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:01 pm

As a long-time writer with only marginal success (I've not yet earned enough to pay for the ink and paper I've used over the past decade, not to mention postage), I consider myself to be quite skilled at converting story ideas into rejection letters from major publications. I'm also a professional computer geek and Linux system admin who has been avoiding payments to Microsoft by using Star Office / Open Office / LibreOffice for my writing. I've actually been successful at converting my children, who prefer LibreOffice even when MS Word is available at the college discount rate.

Imagine my frustration when I learned that my word processor of choice has been corrupting the page headers on my stories when I save them in .DOC or .RTF format for transmission to a prospective publisher. To be specific, .DOC files saved from LibreOffice Writer lose their page headers altogether, and .RTF files saved from Writer have their default page header applied to every page, even the title page. Either way, the resulting document is no longer formatted properly (e.g., per http://www.shunn.net/format/format.pdf).

As I said, I really don't need any external help getting my stories rejected, but I can't seem to find a workaround that won't cost me hundreds of dollars. More and more of the top SF markets are expecting electronic submissions in .DOC format (Asimov's, Analog, and IGMS for three), and I desperately want to send them the best possible work.

What do other writers out there use to generate their final .DOC files for submission? Am I really going to have to pay protection money to the owner of the .DOC file format to make my stories acceptable?
crit27640
Name: David Turner
Sprout
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: Betrayed by my Word Processor

Postby crit27640 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Apologies, everyone. I'm leaving this here in case others run into this, but I consider it a major /headdesk on my part that I didn't see the obvious solution: Scrivener. (It's not just for novels, any more.) I have since verified that by doing a cut/paste of my story into the short story template and retyping the story header, I can compile it successfully into .DOC and .RTF formats, and that both of them have a correct header. QED.
crit27640
Name: David Turner
Sprout
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:48 pm

  • Ads

Return to Apps and Software