Egregious errors

Pretty much anything goes. Flames ok. No blatant spam, nothing illegal or otherwise against the rules of the Innovation Forum.
  • Ads

Egregious errors

Postby Sff.net » Mon May 27, 2013 3:12 am

[Reposted from sff.net user Marten Kemp <m...@t...>]

What are the errors that make you want to throw a book across the room, or the online equivalent?

These aren't the abysmal amateur mistakes of homonym confusion, apostrophe abuse or things like 'alright'; I'm referring to the kind of thing that makes you think, "Have you not the foggiest knowledge of what you're writing about?"

I guess the one that bothers me most is the ever-popular "over and out" radio procedure (simplest explanation: "over" means "I'm finished talking and I'm expecting you to reply" and "out" ends the conversation very much like "goodbye" does over the telephone. Yeah, I'm a (unfortunately not currently active) pilot.

Any of these can be discounted as dumb errors if encountered once in passing but finding them as central parts of a story or occurring multiple times raises my 'fatal error flag'.

There are probably as many of this kind of thing as there are areas of expertise where an author can stub his or her toe. Firearms, airplanes, computers, etc.

-- -- Marten Kemp (Fix ISP to reply)
Sff.net
Name: From a user on sff.net
Tree

Re: Egregious errors

Postby Sff.net » Mon May 27, 2013 4:12 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user <d...@s...> (Dragonwriter)]

What's wrong with over and out? Hearing the person say them both together?

Helen
Sff.net
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Mon May 27, 2013 4:12 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user Joy Beeson <j...@i...>]

On 27 May 2013 16:00:19 GMT, <d...@s...> (Dragonwriter) wrote:

Yes. In essence, he is saying, "It's your turn to talk. I'm not going to listen."

-- Joy Beeson joy beeson at comcast dot net http://www.debeeson.net/joy/
Sff.net
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Mon May 27, 2013 6:42 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user Maggie Roth <m...@y...>]

On 5/27/2013 10:08 AM, Joy Beeson wrote:

Yes. In essence, he is saying, "It's your turn to talk. I'm not going to listen."

Over means it's the other person's turn to talk. Over and out means I'm done talking, I assume you are too, and I'm turning the radio off now, good bye.

Maggie
Sff.net
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Mon May 27, 2013 7:42 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user Marten Kemp <m...@t...>]

On 5/27/2013 2:40 PM, Maggie Roth wrote:

Over means it's the other person's turn to talk. Over and out means I'm

done talking, I assume you are too, and I'm turning the radio off now,

good bye.

"Over" means "I'm listening for your reply" and "out" means "I'm *not* listening for your reply." Using both means "I'm abysmally ignorant of proper procedure."

Using this over a radio will elicit a range of responses limited mainly by the prohibition of profanity on the air. Use of this in a story mostly makes me stop taking the author seriously.

In another newsgroup I responded to a post with "roger wilco." I was emphatically informed that while "roger" means "I understand," "wilco" means "I understand and will comply" and therefore includes "roger" and using both is an error.

-- -- Marten Kemp (Fix ISP to reply)
Sff.net
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Fri May 31, 2013 6:42 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user Brian <n...@c...>]

As someone who spoke on a radio daily, back when I worked for the railroad in Boston, we used the code '10-4.' It meant that the transmission had been understood. It was used to end the conversation as well.

On 5/27/2013 3:31 PM, Marten Kemp wrote:

good bye.

"Over" means "I'm listening for your reply" and "out" means "I'm *not* listening for your reply." Using both means "I'm abysmally ignorant of proper procedure."

Using this over a radio will elicit a range of responses limited mainly by the prohibition of profanity on the air. Use of this in a story mostly makes me stop taking the author seriously.

In another newsgroup I responded to a post with "roger wilco." I was emphatically informed that while "roger" means "I understand," "wilco" means "I understand and will comply" and therefore includes "roger" and using both is an error.
Sff.net
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Fri May 31, 2013 6:42 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user Brian <n...@c...>]

As someone who spoke on a radio daily, back when I worked for the railroad in Boston, we used the code '10-4.' It meant that the transmission had been understood. It was used to end the conversation as well.

On 5/27/2013 3:31 PM, Marten Kemp wrote:

good bye.

Sff.net
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:12 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user Arthur T. <A...@e...>]

In Message-ID:<5...@n...>, Marten Kemp <m...@t...> wrote:

What are the errors that make you want to throw a book across the room, or the online equivalent?

I actually enjoyed the first couple of Dan Brown books I read. Then I came across Digital Fortress, which was based on something I know. His "knowledge" of code-breaking was so ludicrous that I can now understand the objections to his other works. I no longer read his books.

One book (by another author) had a few problems of fact that greatly annoyed me. He did not understand flight plans, and thought that they had to start on the ground, and that they had start and end times, not start times and expected duration. I think he also thought that not having a VFR flight plan would be suspicious.

In the same book, a detective looks at a bullet wound and determines whether it was from an automatic or a revolver.

Since I'm a curmudgeon and a pedant, I'm sure there are many other examples of my displeasures, but these are all that come to me right now.
Sff.net
Tree

• Ads

Return to Volcano Bar and Grill