Self Publishing?

Pretty much anything goes. Flames ok. No blatant spam, nothing illegal or otherwise against the rules of the Innovation Forum.
  • Ads

Self Publishing?

Postby crit27604 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:50 pm

I was wondering if anyone had information about self-publishing.

I am considering Smashwords to help publish my MS. But I talked to two people who used the smashwords format and then did it themselves on Barnes and Noble and on Amazon.

Does anyone know what the difference is?
crit27604
Name: Connie Garcia
Sprout

Re: Self Publishing?

Postby Sff.net » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:12 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user Dragonwriter <dragonwriterAT-NOVIRUS.net>]

On 3/30/2012 2:12 PM, Connie Garcia {crit27604 on www.NewNewForum.com} wrote:

I am considering Smashwords to help publish my MS. But I talked to two people who used the smashwords format and then did it themselves on Barnes and Noble and on Amazon.

Smashwords only takes a Word file, and then converts it into formats which various readers use. You are given advice on how to produce the best possible file, but you have no control over the eventual formatting.

With Amazon and Barnes & Nobles, you have the option to upload the book as a .prc and a epub file, respectively. These are pretty much the files that the companies send to the readers. Thus, you can control the formatting more directly. However, you can upload Word files to these companies and let their converter produce the book.

If you aren't comfortable working with HTML, which is what .prc and epub files are, then I would recommend you stay with the Word documents.

Helen
Sff.net
Name: From a user on sff.net
Tree

Re: Self Publishing?

Postby Sff.net » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:12 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user "Brian" <s...@c...>]

These days, it's fairly simple to convert to epub and mobi files using Sigil and Calibre. I love both programs. That way, you can send right to your own e-reader and have a look at the finished product.

"Dragonwriter" wrote in message news:<4...@n...>

On 3/30/2012 2:12 PM, Connie Garcia {crit27604 on www.NewNewForum.com} wrote:

Smashwords only takes a Word file, and then converts it into formats which various readers use. You are given advice on how to produce the best possible file, but you have no control over the eventual formatting.

With Amazon and Barnes & Nobles, you have the option to upload the book as a .prc and a epub file, respectively. These are pretty much the files that the companies send to the readers. Thus, you can control the formatting more directly. However, you can upload Word files to these companies and let their converter produce the book.

If you aren't comfortable working with HTML, which is what .prc and epub files are, then I would recommend you stay with the Word documents.

Helen
Sff.net
Name: From a user on sff.net
Tree

• Ads

Return to Volcano Bar and Grill