Comments on Amazon and ebooks

Pretty much anything goes. Flames ok. No blatant spam, nothing illegal or otherwise against the rules of the Innovation Forum.
  • Ads

Comments on Amazon and ebooks

Postby Sff.net » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:42 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user Marten Kemp <m...@t...>]

http://fredoneverything.net/Dawson.shtml

Fred's always interesting to read, and this comment speaks to what is probably a sea change in publishing.

I don't do ebooks (yet). One thing that sticks out for me mind is the lack of quality control, with no editors to weed out "awful misspelled ungrammatical Harry Potter facsimiles." I don't want to spend even 99 cents on trash.

-- -- Marten Kemp (Fix ISP to reply) "Nothing bad can happen if you're wearing purple socks." -Mom
Sff.net
Name: From a user on sff.net
Tree

Re: Comments on Amazon and ebooks

Postby crit19292 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Sff.net wrote:[Reposted from sff.net user Marten Kemp <m...@t...>]I don't do ebooks (yet). One thing that sticks out for me mind is the lack of quality control, with no editors to weed out "awful misspelled ungrammatical Harry Potter facsimiles." I don't want to spend even 99 cents on trash.
I find that I have better chances of getting something original online than in a book store. I agree with the lack of quality control, but I applaud the lack of gatekeepers preventing good original material from getting published or promoted. What I find scary is that the horrid stuff gets a lot of downloads, while those that work to put out some quality get almost no attention. Such is life, and in time I do believe that the cream will rise to the top.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:12 am

[Reposted from sff.net user "Brian" <s...@c...>]

"Marten Kemp" wrote in message news:<4...@n...>

I don't do ebooks (yet). One thing that sticks out for me mind is the lack of quality control, with no editors to weed out "awful misspelled ungrammatical Harry Potter facsimiles." I don't want to spend even 99 cents on trash.

-- -- Marten Kemp (Fix ISP to reply) "Nothing bad can happen if you're wearing purple socks." -Mom

I've been reading ebooks on my Kindle for close to a year, now on a Kindle Fire. I agree wholeheartedly about the quality issue. You have to be very careful when purchasing a book to read, especially the cheaper ones. I've also noticed that some may even have 5 stars, which doesn't mean a thing if you look below and see only one or two reviews in the review section. It's really sad, too, especially to think that the whole industry may eventually lower itself to that level. But I suppose it's just a new era, in which you have to research everything about a novel before purchasing it. Luckily, the 'look inside' thing helps a lot.
Sff.net
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:12 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user Dragonwriter <dragonwriterAT-NOVIRUS.net>]

On 2/18/2012 10:23 AM, Marten Kemp wrote:

http://fredoneverything.net/Dawson.shtml

Fred's always interesting to read, and this comment speaks to what is probably a sea change in publishing.

I mentioned this in my talk yesterday at UDcon. Someone asked how to weed out the dreck, and I explained that you can learn a lot from the blurb. If there are misspelled words or grammatical mistakes in the blurb, or if the writing is just flat bad, don't expect the book to be any better.

Helen
Sff.net
Tree

• Ads

Return to Volcano Bar and Grill