Traditional Publishing

Pretty much anything goes. Flames ok. No blatant spam, nothing illegal or otherwise against the rules of the Innovation Forum.
  • Ads

Traditional Publishing

Postby Sff.net » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:42 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user "Brian" <s...@c...>]

I'm wondering if some or many of the traditional publishers will eventually go the way of the dinosaur, like Borders. I've often thought that they've been too old fashioned for their own good for many years now, but now that e-books have become so popular, seems they may start fading out. Any opinions?
Sff.net
Name: From a user on sff.net
Tree

Re: Traditional Publishing

Postby Sff.net » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:12 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user Dragonwriter <dragonwriterAT-NOVIRUS.net>]

On 11/15/2011 12:37 PM, Brian wrote:

I'm wondering if some or many of the traditional publishers will eventually go the way of the dinosaur, like Borders. I've often thought that they've been too old fashioned for their own good for many years now, but now that e-books have become so popular, seems they may start fading out. Any opinions?

Publishers, or book sellers?

Helen
Sff.net
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:12 pm

I'm talking publishers themselves, and that many still take only snail mail submissions and think hard copy books and true print. It strikes me in a funny way too, that the best seller lists are so different on Amazon between print books and Kindle favorites. Many of the Kindle favorites are very good e-books, and sales are high, yet only in the e-book category.

"Dragonwriter" wrote in message news:<4...@n...>

On 11/15/2011 12:37 PM, Brian wrote:

Publishers, or book sellers?

Helen
Sff.net
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:12 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user <d...@s...> (Dragonwriter)]

The big six are slowly moving into digital publishing, and smaller publishers are moving faster. I think the publishers will adapt, as e-book sales become more viable.

The best books to sell as e-books, however, are those which are bought mainly to be read. Books do not work well as e-books include reference books, coffee table books (think big, bright pictures,) gift books, and books one carries about so everyone will know how smart you are.

Books by celebrities and politicians, which mainly sell on recognition of the subject, also aren't good e-book prospects, as the booksellers count on large end-cap displays to entice their customers.

Hard copy book sellers, on the other hand, are in a world of hurt, facing competition not just from online sales, but from big box retailers, grocery stores, and everything in between.

Helen
Sff.net
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:12 pm

< and books one carries about so everyone will know how smart you are. > Funny you should mention that, one of the main reasons readers still desire the print book over the e-book.

Good analysis, Helen.

"Dragonwriter" wrote in message news:<4...@n...>

The big six are slowly moving into digital publishing, and smaller publishers are moving faster. I think the publishers will adapt, as e-book sales become more viable.

The best books to sell as e-books, however, are those which are bought mainly to be read. Books do not work well as e-books include reference books, coffee table books (think big, bright pictures,) gift books, and books one carries about so everyone will know how smart you are.

Books by celebrities and politicians, which mainly sell on recognition of the subject, also aren't good e-book prospects, as the booksellers count on large end-cap displays to entice their customers.

Hard copy book sellers, on the other hand, are in a world of hurt, facing competition not just from online sales, but from big box retailers, grocery stores, and everything in between.

Helen
Sff.net
Tree

• Ads

Return to Volcano Bar and Grill