Protocol

Pretty much anything goes. Flames ok. No blatant spam, nothing illegal or otherwise against the rules of the Innovation Forum.
  • Ads

Protocol

Postby Sff.net » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:42 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user Dragonwriter <dragonwriterAT-NOVIRUS.net>]

One of my nieces is looking for addresses to send invitations to another nieces baby shower.

In another state, a thousand miles away. The chances of my attending is pretty low.

It's my niece's fourth baby. She had one before she married her now ex-husband, a second by the now ex-husband, and two by her boyfriend, who she likes to brag is taking good care of her and her other children. The just previous baby is less than couple of years old, so one assumes that she still has a good supply of the baby things. And both the just previous baby and this new one are girls, so there isn't a gender problem here.

Times past, a baby shower was held to give the mother all the little things that experienced mothers knew she would need for the baby, and that's why they tended to be for first-time moms and not so much for second-timers. Not to mention fourth-timers -- unless the Mom had suffered a huge loss of baby items, say in a fire, or because she had already declared herself "finished."

Today, though -- is a baby shower just an excuse for a party? A pat on the back for keeping the kid?

I feel weird...

Helen
Sff.net
Name: From a user on sff.net
Tree

Re: Protocol

Postby Sff.net » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:42 pm

[Reposted from sff.net user Maggie Roth <m...@y...>]

I've never heard of having a baby shower for any other than the first child. I wouldn't respond. And if I was pressed I would tell the niece it wasn't appropriate and I wouldn't support it.

I can be a b*tch.

Maggie

On 9/18/2011 10:24 AM, Dragonwriter wrote:

[quote]

One of my nieces is looking for addresses to send invitations to another nieces baby shower.

In another state, a thousand miles away. The chances of my attending is pretty low.

It's my niece's fourth baby. She had one before she married her now ex-husband, a second by the now ex-husband, and two by her boyfriend, who she likes to brag is taking good care of her and her other children. The just previous baby is less than couple of years old, so one assumes that she still has a good supply of the baby things. And both the just previous baby and this new one are girls, so there isn't a gender problem here.

Times past, a baby shower was held to give the mother all the little things that experienced mothers knew she would need for the baby, and that's why they tended to be for first-time moms and not so much for second-timers. Not to mention fourth-timers -- unless the Mom had suffered a huge loss of baby items, say in a fire, or because she had already declared herself "finished."

Today, though -- is a baby shower just an excuse for a party? A pat on the back for keeping the kid?

I feel weird...

Helen
Sff.net
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:42 am

[Reposted from sff.net user <k...@a...> (kelley)]

humm.. It would probably depend on just how close you are to this niece or how poor they are. I'd be tempted to ignore the invitation-- you could get her an appointment with someone to discuss birth control...:)..if you want to start WW III in your family
Sff.net
Tree

Postby Sff.net » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:42 am

[Reposted from sff.net user <d...@s...> (Dragonwriter)]

Birth control. I don't know why this girl keeps using hormonal-based birth control. This is her fourth failure while using it. I suspect PCOS -- and the birth control makes her more fertile, not less.
Sff.net
Tree

• Ads

Return to Volcano Bar and Grill