How do you feel about Critting and Writing?

Pretty much anything goes. Flames ok. No blatant spam, nothing illegal or otherwise against the rules of the Innovation Forum.
  • Ads

Re: How do you feel about Critting and Writing?

Postby crit18909 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Some of the critiques I read here are wonderful and thoughtful and helpful and it's obvious that the commenter put a lot of time and effort into their task. One of the best things about this site is that a writer will get a lot of variation in the critiques that they receive...so many people view things differently. One person may comment on plot. Another on active voice. Another, still, on dialogue.

Some who write critiques make the same sort of comments about each submission, they may discuss (at length) the writers choice of character names, for example...and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, if a particular person is well versed in something like Active/Passive or Dialogue then I think it serves everyone well for that knowledgeable person to comment on their specialty as much as it is applicable because it helps all of us.

When I critique, I try to comment on the main one or two or three things that, in my view, are preventing THIS manuscript from being a topnotch piece. It may well be plot, or dialogue. But, sometimes it's much more basic than that. Sometimes it's simple word choice, spelling...maybe they say the same thing over and over and over...and not necessarily for effect.
crit18909
Sprout

Re: How do you feel about Critting and Writing?

Postby crit18909 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:08 pm

One thing that is annoying to me is the narrow minded approach that so many of the posters have.

You don't need to look too far to see this sort of thing...
"I read this way (or write this way, or whatever), and I read at this speed, so therefore, everyone should read that way...and at that same exact speed...or somehow, they are wrong."

I'm not making this stuff up folks, I've heard this, right here on this site...
"I write my critiques this way, and so should everyone else, after all, this is the proper way. What I do is a critique...what you do is a lecture."

And my favorite...
"...I are a great writer. Don't you DARE question me. Yes, I won third place in a high school poetry contest. And I had a letter to the editor published. I had a short story published on my cousin's website. And, besides, my mom said I was really, really good..."
crit18909
Sprout

• Ads
Previous

Return to Volcano Bar and Grill