literary agent

Any sort of discussions. Levity yes, flames no.
  • Ads

literary agent

Postby crit14498 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:26 pm

A literature professor on campus read one of my novellas, and she suggested I go ahead and find a literary agent. I had thought agents only handled books, so I wanted to finish my anthology first. However, if an agent can help each novella be published individually, then that would be awesome. Does anyone here know if agents can handle novellas?
crit14498
Sprout

Re: literary agent

Postby crit19292 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:43 pm

What?

You have access to a college professor -- someone who must 'publish or perish' -- and you have to come here to find an agent? Ask him how he got published. Ask him what sources that he has to contact an agent.

The point is that we don't know. Each story is different, and most of us don't have agents. We would like to, but we just aren't famous enough. An agent will deal with you ONLY if they believe that what you have will make them some money. Usually, one book (even a good one), will not make enough money to tempt an agent. Those agents that you see being advertised here are NOT agents, but front people for a POD (Print On Demand) company. Those of us that have agents, really just have people that we know that does not mind helping us make contacts.

Sorry if that is not the answer that you want to hear. Also, if anyone speaks out telling you that I am wrong, I will probably be checking out what they say as well.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

Postby crit14498 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:36 pm

I did not come here to find an agent. I came here to ask whether or not agents handled novellas.
crit14498
Sprout

Postby Omniscient POV » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:26 am

crit14498 wrote:I did not come here to find an agent. I came here to ask whether or not agents handled novellas.
You'll probably have to ask individual agents to really know if they do.
"Horses are God's apology for men"
Omniscient POV
Name: C.S. Miller
Sapling

• Ads

Return to Lounge