Ebook reader tryouts and reactions

Any sort of discussions. Levity yes, flames no.

Have you tried an ebook reader recently under realistic, comfy reading chair conditions?

Yes, and liked it
76%
Yes, and didn't like it
No votes
No
24%

Total votes : 29

(Please log in to vote; see login buttons above.)

• Ads

Re: Ebook reader tryouts and reactions

Postby crit24693 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:46 am

aburt wrote:I could probably connect up a format converter to create epubs, mobis, or whatnot of manuscripts for those who want them. There's already a text reformatter that Critter member Mike Alexander wrote, http://critique.org/c/critstyle-info.ht - you might see if that helps you avoid some of the work in the meanwhile.

Andrew if you're able to offer manuscripts as epub downloads, that would be great! :D

Jen

PS - I tried out the text reformatter, with both a Word file, and a story copied directly from a critters manuscript page, but both times got a message saying I hadn't pasted a valid critters manuscript.
crit24693
Name: Jen Cole
Sprout

Postby aburt » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:43 am

And.... now manuscripts are available in epub/mobi formats on the manuscripts page. Click the manuscript you want to see then click the "[ebook]" link above it when it comes up. Thanks for the idea, Jen!
aburt
Name: Andrew Burt
Tree

Postby crit24693 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:38 am

aburt wrote:And.... now manuscripts are available in epub/mobi formats on the manuscripts page. Click the manuscript you want to see then click the "[ebook]" link above it when it comes up. Thanks for the idea, Jen!

No, thank *you* Andrew, for your brilliant response! I've just downloaded an ebook and it worked fine.

The only thing I'd suggest is that your instructions tell people to 'right-click' on the ebook link and choose 'download linked file', since normal left-clicking will take them to a page of gobbledegook.

Thanks again for providing this option. :)
Jen
crit24693
Sprout

Postby aburt » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Jen, glad it worked, my pleasure!

As for the clicking -- it downloaded fine on my system when I clicked on it, so I've tried something that might tell other browsers not to show gibberish but to ask you about launching a reader program.

Could you try normal clicking again and see if it works for you?
aburt
Tree

Postby crit24693 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:19 pm

aburt wrote:Could you try normal clicking again and see if it works for you?

OK, I just normal clicked, and it downloaded properly. Whatever you did, did the trick.

Cheers
Jen
crit24693
Sprout

Postby crit21586 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:15 am

aburt wrote:Check out the Kindle or any of the other readers that use the "E-ink" technology -- it's designed to be extremely crisp and print-like.

Kindle/e-ink is not light-emitting, as you asked for. :) I'd be curious what you think of it, should you get to try one under comfy-reading-chair conditions.

(Oh, and your name gets attached from Critters, using whatever name you signed up with.)

(Via FB, I used my Critter log on (and somewhere else I probably have a separate log on for here too. Many ways to talk!)

OK, but what's my motivation for buying something I feel that I don't have any need for?

And being "print-like" is not exactly print; I somehow doubt anything electronic could be as comfy as print on paper. And since my business is within book production and since I've done my share of design and composition, it's straightforward for me to change anything that comes as a file into a favorite font at a favorite size for my own personal reading.

But basically it goes back to this: I don't see the temptation to buy another device (surrounded as I am with all sorts of electronic devices). On the other hand, perhaps ask me again next year. :)

--Chet
crit21586
Name: Chet Gottfried
Sprout

Postby aburt » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:38 am

True, it's hard to see the future and how a new thing will either mesh and improve your life, or do nothing (or worse, degrade things and somehow be an albatross).

I remember when I was a kid in the days before the PC, and I thought it would be cool to own a computer. When the very first ones came available, talking Radio Shack here, I couldn't really explain to my parents what good it would do or exactly what I could do with one. I didn't know, but it looked fun, and the possibilities seemed sort of endless. They took a gamble, and not only did it pay off for them quickly (I ended up writing custom software for my father for his business that saved him a ton of money, and made me money) -- but I also ultimately made a career out of it. :)

Some gambits are a bust, of course. For me, I find trying things out has rarely been detrimental, and frequently rewarding, so I tend to try things. Digital reading is one that I've really taken to since I first, skeptically, gave it a shot on my blackberry many years ago. That was clunky, but it worked for me, and the experience has only gotten better as the technology improves. Now I'm annoyed at the shortcomings of paper and want to read everything digitally. :)
aburt
Tree

Postby crit25037 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:12 pm

My wife and I both got ourselves Kindle 3s last year. I _much_ prefer using the Kindle to reading a physical book now as the e-ink "print" has a much better contrast than the average paperback. (My wife had gotten me a physical book for Christmas and were laughing at how quaint and sad it looked. "The Last Book". ;)) It also eliminates both the 1) need to physically hold my place open -- which is a hassle with thicker novels if the print edges too close to the spine, and 2) the need to clutter up the house with extra books. Also It's nice to be able to carry a large selection of reading material with me anywhere I go.

I have been eying the color nook since it came out though. Maybe later in the year. It's really not that pressing to have color for me atm.

The main downside to the digital books is of course you can't buy any "cheap used books". I don't have too much hesitation buying a book for $5 or under but past $10... It better be interesting. :)
crit25037
Name: Lewis Sellers
Sapling

Postby crit24868 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:53 pm

I would bet that over the next few years, e-books will drift down in price to the 2-3 dollar range, maybe $5 for bestsellers. The authors will get 75% or more of the revenue. Paper publishing companies will be out of business, or will have morphed into online content distributors.

For 2 or 3 bucks, I'm willing to pull down a book and read it, especially if there's a free preview available. With my new ipad :) I am finding e-reading more enjoyable than with my smartphone which is portable but a little hard on the eyes after a few months.

My eyes are very tired these days. I think in fact I'm going to quit work and go live on a beach for six months or so, and just stare at the sky and the watery horizon--when I'm awake. Some day.
crit24868
Name: Terry
Sprout

• Ads
Previous

Return to Lounge