Question: Two strand Plot Line with Same Character

Any sort of discussions. Levity yes, flames no.
  • Ads

Question: Two strand Plot Line with Same Character

Postby crit28217 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:58 pm

I want to know if anyone has experience writing a 2 strand plot line with the same character.

For example: Plot stand 1 is a boy on a planet fighting strange creatures... Plot strand 2 is the same boy a year before in a normal American high school. Both plot lines proceed forward and the chapters bounce back and forth between them. Eventually Plot strand 2 comes to the point where the boy "Gets to the planet" and then we culminate with the action and finale in Plot strand 1.

This is different from the usual this group of characters in plot strand 1, and this other group in plot strand 2.

Please comment on what you think about this type of plot structure as I cannot find any real data on it.

Thanks.
DTM
crit28217
Name: David McKEe
Sprout

Re: Question: Two strand Plot Line with Same Character

Postby crit28217 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:35 pm

I really would like some opinions on this question - anyone?

Thanks.
crit28217
Name: David McKEe
Sprout

Postby crit19292 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:09 pm

Yes, you deserve a response. If for no other reason than you are a member here. The problem, I believe, is that the answer is obvious - so why are you even asking?

Any story idea can be entertaining if done well. Some however take more effort than others. The question thus is whether or not you are up to the task.

I read a number of critiques. My crit percentage is over 100. I also read for a publisher. I thus read a lot of raw manuscripts. The problem with 99.99% of them is laziness. The writer did not bother to -

1) Check grammar and spelling. Hail with spellcheck and grammarcheck, does that world fit in the sentence and mark it sound write?

2) Describe things. I am hitting a number that don't even bother to tell me if the main character is male or female.

3) Check people's names (Floyd is now Frank), and certain details (bareheaded and bald suddenly tosses his hat).

4) Check the plausibility of certain actions. (They swim across the rain-soaked river.)

5) Establishing an ending that makes you want to read more.

Your plot idea could be entertaining. It however sounds like a lot of work. The first "Butterfly Effect" movie was fantastic, because the author worked out a lot of details. The second movie - not so much, and it showed. The third movie - not at all, and that is over an hour of my time that I cannot get back (I checked the warranty). If you are up to the task, I hope that you get all the credit you deserve. If you try to do shortcuts, I again hope that you get the credit you deserve.

I wish you well.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

Postby crit27817 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:17 am

I am doing this and it is hard work. Every time I move between situations, I have to be super careful that the reader knows where we are in time. I will be editing draft five soon, as an example of the challenge. The TV shows where this is done well are my favorites. Most professional authors do this to some degree. To me this adds depth by expressing what is happening now, and by using the past, why it is happening. Marie 27817
crit27817
Name: Marie Ming
Sprout

• Ads

Return to Lounge