NaNoWriMo!

Any sort of discussions. Levity yes, flames no.
  • Ads

NaNoWriMo!

Postby crit26717 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:02 pm

Is anybody else planning on doing NaNoWriMo this year? I'm a third-year wrimo but a brand-new critter, seeing as I heard about Critters on the NaNoWriMo forums last year and wasn't in the best situation for joining when I first heard of it. Has anyone done NaNoWriMo and kept up with their critiquing at the same time?
crit26717
Name: Elizabeth Van Deusen
Sprout

Re: NaNoWriMo!

Postby teronaiya » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:45 pm

I am definitely participating this year.
I usually fall off the wagon since it is easy to get busy and forget about WriMo, so I think being a critter would help. Incentive to keep writing all month.

There are 5 Wednesdays this November, so maybe if anyone is interested we could do a NaNoWriMo swap group. Aim for 10K words per week to make the 50K goal. That might be a bit ambitious since the first Wednesday is the third, though. :lol:
-A Chow

Marching to the beat of a slightly faster drum.
teronaiya
Name: Ashly Chow
Sprout

Postby crit26212 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:59 pm

I'm doing Nano this year too. I'm in for a weekly meet-up if you're still game.
Amy
crit26212
Name: Amy LaBonte
Sprout

Postby AriannaErlaine » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:55 am

This will be my first year as both a critter and a wrimo, and to be honest, I'm not sure I can handle both at once. NaNo will be the one to suffer, if I can't, but that's not so bad-- for my first year doing it, I think it's more important to finish (even if I'm finishing in December) than to do it all by the 30th.

I'd be highly interested in a swap group. ^_^ Incentive aside, one of my biggest ways to get through a writer's block is to read someone else's work and come back to mine later, with a fresh mind. Sometimes, too, a good crit can change one's perspective on the story, and that can help.

Anyway, those are my reasons, but who else is interested? We could trade words each Wednesday, then set up a 3-way (or 4-way, or however many) DR review at the end to see what horrible nonsense we've spawned and whether any of it can be salvaged for good use. :lol:
AriannaErlaine
Name: Annie Erlaine
Sprout

Postby teronaiya » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:19 am

Definitely still game. Arianna, were you talking about swapping for critique, or swapping for a collaborative "Exquisite Corpse" WriMo Project?
I was just thinking a quick read and critique to keep the writer's block away, and help encourage each other to the end.

It looks like there are four of us so far...?
-A Chow

Marching to the beat of a slightly faster drum.
teronaiya
Name: Ashly Chow
Sprout

Postby AriannaErlaine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:39 am

Three of us at least-- the OP hasn't posted any replies, no way to know if s/he's interested.

Why not both? If it's not too embarrassing at the end, at least. Just thinking, 5 Wednesdays in November, and it ends on a Wednesday, but assuming that critique will lead to some changes and that we might not all finish within November... Well, I was just thinking it could be fun. Who knows, one of us might have a novel we like enough to submit for publication, and then we have two (or three) other people who have seen the story from infancy and can talk about revision with full knowledge of what one is trying to do.
AriannaErlaine
Name: Annie Erlaine
Sprout

Postby crit28256 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:30 pm

I have a personal writing group that may have nanowrimo-ers, and there's a possibility that I'll do it, though I'm still deciding. I'll definitely keep up on critters, though I may drop from 2 crits a week to 1 for the month. Still, could be nice to team up with other critters/nanowrimoers.

Actually, our other group is doing outlines and notes/research now for nanowrimo, sending it back and forth for ideas before we set off. I should probably finish that now that vacay is over...
crit28256
Name: Lucia Livak
Sprout

Postby crit28750 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:28 pm

I've done Nano for the past eight years. Won all eight. I just joined Critters today. At first the Nano forums were very friendly, but in the past year or so, the moderators have been very lax about flamers and attacks. Critters sounded more like what I wanted. Wanting someone to review my work before I submit it is not the same as wanting to be beaten about the head and shoulders.

I don't know if I'll be back doing Nano next year. I have to think about it. I have several novels that I think might be publishable. Best, perhaps, to work on them before I start work on something new.
crit28750
Name: Rebecca Lyons
Sprout

Postby Omniscient POV » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:31 am

crit28750 wrote:I've done Nano for the past eight years. Won all eight. I just joined Critters today. At first the Nano forums were very friendly, but in the past year or so, the moderators have been very lax about flamers and attacks. Critters sounded more like what I wanted. Wanting someone to review my work before I submit it is not the same as wanting to be beaten about the head and shoulders.

I don't know if I'll be back doing Nano next year. I have to think about it. I have several novels that I think might be publishable. Best, perhaps, to work on them before I start work on something new.

Wise choice. I'm sure you are better off with Critters. Nano is over rated.
"Horses are God's apology for men"
Omniscient POV
Name: C.S. Miller
Sapling

Postby crit26717 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:41 am

I never left NaNo, but I'm now back to Critters after a really long gap. I definitely need something to balance the crazy, headlong rush of writing that is NaNoWriMo, and I'm hoping this will be it.... I should probably join a more active workshop along with the YA and Kids one, though. NaNoWriMo is pretty handy for what it is--a motivation to just sit down and write--but it doesn't go much farther than that, at least for me. I still love doing it, though--but I would never be able to let anybody read it during November. :mrgreen:
crit26717
Name: Elizabeth Van Deusen
Sprout

• Ads
Next

Return to Lounge