Online collaborative writing

Any sort of discussions. Levity yes, flames no.
  • Ads

Online collaborative writing

Postby Wribly » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi everyone!

I am looking for volunteers to participate in testing the beta version of an online collaborative writing project. Testing will begin this November.
What would your participation entail?
1) Participate in the creation of a short story using the methods of our application. The story will be 10 pages long, and would take around 3-4 months to complete. The approximate time required to participate will be around 1/2 to 1 hour per week. If at any point you decide that this is not your cup of tea, you are always free to quit.
2) Give us your feedback on whatever comes to your mind: from advice on the creation process, to the specifics of the implementation. In other words, any opinion you have to make this a better product would be very welcome.

Our goal is to recruit ~50 volunteers to test the system. If you are interested:
Please sign up at http://www.wribly.com
Thanks in advance!
Wribly
Name: Team Wribly
Sprout

Re: Online collaborative writing

Postby crit19292 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:19 pm

50 people to spend 3-4 months on one 3,000 word story? Sounds like major inefficiency (is this a government project?).

We already have movies and TV shows done by committee, and the quality SUCKS. Sorry, but I would rather be involved with people who are willing to stand up for their madness and take the blame.
I will not deny myself having my opinions.
crit19292
Name: Roby Ward
Tree

Postby Wribly » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:46 am

crit19292 wrote:50 people to spend 3-4 months on one 3,000 word story? Sounds like major inefficiency (is this a government project?).

We already have movies and TV shows done by committee, and the quality SUCKS. Sorry, but I would rather be involved with people who are willing to stand up for their madness and take the blame.

Thank you for your comment. This is not a government project, but rather an amateur writer's wish for a decent platform to collaborate and crowdsource creativity. The reason why it would take 3-4 months to complete with 50 people is that it scales with numbers... the more people, the faster and better the project goes. For beta testing we will go slowly, and analyze the process step by step. This is not meant to replace solo-writers in any way. If anything it might help writers get over their writer's block by being exposed to fresh ideas.
Hope you will reconsider and give Wribly a shot!
Wribly
Name: Team Wribly
Sprout

Postby AriannaErlaine » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:39 am

I've done online collaborative writing in the past, but while fun, it doesn't seem very productive in the end. There are so many different voices, and so many different directions individuals are trying to go, that compromising and editing it at the end often turns into a bigger task than just writing it all solo in the first place. Good luck, though.
AriannaErlaine
Name: Annie Erlaine
Sprout

• Ads

Return to Lounge