Ebook reader poll - have you tried one recently?

Any sort of discussions. Levity yes, flames no.
  • Ads

Re: Ebook reader poll - have you tried one recently?

Postby crit21453 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:10 pm

During the last year, I tried the Kindle for Android, and I love it. If I don't know a word's definition, all I have to do is touch a word and it'll give me the definition without even putting the book down. It doesn't read to me, though, so I think I'll buy a regular Kindle this December. I still read paper books and still like my Sony Reader for reading .pdfs and grammar lessons from the Muse Online Writer's Conference. I still read paper, as the readers malfunction sometimes, and because I still like paper.
crit21453
Name: Alan Braun
Sprout

Postby crit26521 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:49 am

I read Kindle on my Droid, plus other formats on my assorted laptops and desktops. I *adore* having books on my phone while travelling, and I love the free books offered by the Gutenberg Project. I also like that ebooks don't take up any of my precious and overfull shelf space. That being said, I still prefer paper books overall.

Sometimes price (free) and immediate gratification beat out paper, though, and with ebooks, I can take a huge library on the train or cruise ship w/o running afoul of baggage weight limitations or separating my shoulder trying to lug them all. :)

In 1999, I backpacked through Europe. It killed me to have to physically slice books apart so I could take individual chapters of guidebooks with me instead of the whole book. I would have killed for ebooks back then.
crit26521
Name: Kary James
Sapling

Postby teronaiya » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:42 am

I use the Ebook software on my android phone. Not the same as Epaper, but I set the text to white on black, and it reduces eye strain. I LOVE it. I can take as many books with me as I can download and not have to worry about getting food/rain/stuff on it, crumpling pages, using and keeping track of a bookmark. Plus as fast as I read, I would be buried in books.

I will say though, there are a few books, my all time favorites, that I like to read paper over Ereader, mainly because I feel more attached to the book emotionally when I turn the pages by hand.
Overall, I am definitely a convert. Plus, Ebooks are more environmentally friendly...
-A Chow

Marching to the beat of a slightly faster drum.
teronaiya
Name: Ashly Chow
Sprout

• Ads
Previous

Return to Lounge